In a previous blog post, we discussed the difference between the form 1023 and 1023-EZ. Form 1023 is a long form that requires extensive narrative concerning your organization such as, your whistle blower policy, dissolution clause, etc., and the 1023-EZ is the streamlined version that consists of checkboxes that rely on your trust that all of the information is accurate and accounted for.
Home to the American Football Hall of Fame and 8 American presidents, Ohio has much to offer. Whether you’re a Cleveland Browns fan or root for the Cincinnati Bengals, all Buckeyes can agree on bettering their community. They are inspiring with the missions and work that they do and you can help by volunteering or starting your own nonprofit. If you are thinking of starting your own nonprofit in Ohio, here’s exactly how to do so.
Did you know that Washington is the only state named after an American president? It is also home to many things such as Microsoft, Starbucks, and the oldest functioning gas station. However, the Washington state nonprofits have also had an impactful presence in the Evergreen State. According to the Washington Nonprofits public policy, nonprofits provide upwards of 236,000 jobs and leverage more than $5 billion in volunteer services every year. Check out these steps to start your Washington Nonprofit.
Virginia is for lovers and it’s obvious that the state loves helping their community. In fact, there are over 30,000 nonprofits registered in the state. Maybe it is the slogan that is encouraging our Old Dominion friends to join the business of helping others. If you are interested in starting a Virginia nonprofit, read the information below for some tips to make the process move smoothly for you and your business.
We all know, everything is bigger in Texas. The Lone Star State is the largest contiguous state in America and is bigger than every European country. Being so large, the state has so much to offer. From live music and delicious food in Austin to historical sights such as the Alamo, there is something for everyone. Texas has a population of 96.3 people per square mile and 28,105 501(c)(3) nonprofit organizations, making it a great place to start your nonprofit (Factretriever). Here's how to do exactly that in just 3 easy steps:
In order to become tax-exempt, an organization must file a Form 1023 or a 1023-EZ. In our previous blog “The difference between a 1023 and a 1023-EZ”, we discussed the difference between each. When filing a 1023, organizations must submit various legal documents and a narrative detailing the organization’s mission and programs, while organizations filing the 1023 EZ, simply check boxes to indicate those documents exist without having to submit them to the IRS.
The Garden State is known for its beautiful greenery and is in fact 45% covered in forest. The other 55% of New Jersey is packed to the brim with around 30,000 501(c)(3) non-profit organizations and a higher population density than China. The state has great focus on biopharmaceuticals and technology, making it a great place for innovation and the next home for your nonprofit (NJNonprofits).
Public charities and private foundations, though often used interchangeably, are two different kinds of tax-exempt organizations. Public charities are known for doing charitable services and private foundations are known for supporting the work of public charities. They are closely related but there are some key components that make them different. Below are two definitions provided by google of what a public charity and a private foundation is.
Florida has got it all: gorgeous beaches, amazing oranges, Disney World, and more golf courses than any other state. Whether you are relaxing in the sun or hanging out with Mickey Mouse, Florida has something for everyone (
In terms of the nonprofit sector, as of 2017, in the past decade, Florida has seen a 40% growth. It has employed nearly 530,000 Floridians and the number of nonprofits organizations has grown 80% to around 83,000! With so much growth in the industry, there is no better time than now to start your Florida nonprofit (
Here's everything you need to know to do just that:
In our article last month, we discussed what the Johnson Amendment is and how it prohibits tax-exempt organizations from campaigning for or against political candidates. The amendment has been active for more than 50 years, however our president has recently begun opposing the law. The Johnson Amendment has not received much opposition besides a few years back when the Alliance Defending Freedom organization fought to repealing the amendment.